Thursday, August 5, 2010

Luggagelessness is next to Monkliness

I've been traveling plenty these last 2-3 years. And even before that on short trips, to be fair. Earlier in my traveling days I definitely had issues with over-packing. I'd pack the world's most unnecessary things with me on trips as short as 5 days! I'd end up lugging around really heavy bags through rain and sludge as a result.
Then two years ago I had to pack for really long trips, to Bangalore and then Switzerland. Yes I did pack tonnes of junk. And Switzerland was the WORST! I had 36 kgs check-in luggage (allowance of 30) and 15kgs hand luggage (allowance-7!!!). My back was broken by the end of the journey!
But my life in Zurich made me less materialistic, for sure. I thought before I bought- simply because I knew I wouldn't be able to carry much home. I let go of so many things before I left, with no attachment to them whatsoever. It was my moment of pride. Slowly I grew to realize that you don't need ANYTHING when you travel, technically. You will find what you need where you go.
Ever since then, I've noticed that every time I travel, I don't feel this mad rush to pack as much as my allowance is. And I absolutely loathe hand luggage (after the 15kg incident). So I just pack less than what I need now, and I'm still happy. What a realization- "things" aren't happiness!! (I'm so awesome).
I was thinking yesterday, that given our studio flat's disregard to safety, We could have a fire there any moment. And what would I save if there was one? The cat! And that's it. I thought about my gold and laptop. I tried to convince myself of their importance. But no. Didn't work. The cat is all I would save. 
So yes, Luggagelessness is next to Monkliness. Soon I shall be ready to renounce materialism and fly to places empty handed.

2 comments:

Divya said...

i love what you've written. i'm moving out too now and looking at the junk i've stored, i have realised how much i've changed in the past 1 year...i plan to be minimalistic in my new house, with the only clutter and baggage being those of good memories :) pun intended.

Malesh Ponnusamy said...

no wonder they say 'travel light and everything will be just fine'